Home Icon LS Blogging Tips Icon LS Family Icon LS Photography Icon LS Social Media Icon LS Consumer Info. Icon LS Strabismus Icon LS Freebies Icon LS Link Ups Icon LS Advertise Icon LS

March 24, 2012

Old Edits vs. New Edits

This post is to note the difference in my editing.  When I first began, and like many newbies so I've heard, I over-edited my photographs.  I used to think that it wasn't that I didn't like my original photograph it was more because I had such fun with the different editing software/programs.  It allowed me to be creative.  Taking the picture just wasn't enough for me.  Then it donned on me, and I mean only about 10 minutes ago, that I wasn't satisfied with my original (untouched) shots.  When I take a great photograph, I have a difficult time trying to figure out what it needs.  I almost don't want to touch it at all.  While it is exciting to see myself improving, it's a bit frustrating also.  So I stopped thinking about how to change the picture and I started focusing on ways to improve it!   Maybe a little color balance, contrast boost, sharpen around the eyes, etc.?  I just want to enhance what I've already captured so beautifully.  Anyhow, now my edits are clean and simple.  I don't really edit my pictures at all.  I process them. 

So here's the deal.  Below, I've attached some old photographs taken last year.  The first one from each collage is the SOOC/orignal untouched version.  The second one is the edited, in some cases over-edited, version.  The third is my processed version.  Clean & simple.  Okay so I added vignettes.  I have to have a little fun!  Also I tested out my new watermark. 


As I look at these, still, I'm seeing things I may have done to process these better. 
The middle photograph in this next collage is so overly edited, it's a little embarrassing.  I smoothed out her face and removed any evidence of circles, bags and lines around the eyes.  I also used a blurring effect to blur out everything but her face. 
The middle photograph of this next collage is also over edited.  Again, I smoothed her skin and removed all evidence of lines/circles around the eyes.  I also warmed up the tones a little too much.  She looks a bit orange.  Lastly, I removed/lifted the shadows a bit from the left side of her face as I felt they were too dark.  I'm still unsure about that.  The last photograph is the most recently processed version and I'm still kind of wondering if I should have lifted the shadows a bit.  I initially didn't because I loved the depth it gave to the photograph.
This last collage brings back memories.  At the time, I was so happy with the original version.  It was my first time photographing with natural light and I loved it.  Still do!  Looking at it now is different.  All I see is the color orange and an overly saturated tutu and hair bow.  My edited version, the second picture down, is not that bad.  At least it wasn't overly edited.  I boosted the contrast but didn't touch the color at all.  I also sharpened the eyes and called it a day.  

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...